Tinnitus, in many cases, is a result of too much exposure to very loud noise. People who work on construction sites, certain factories or other noisy environments without wearing ear muffs are more likely to develop tinnitus and maybe even a hearing loss. Listening to loud music especially in discos is another major risk factor.
The following may also cause tinnitus :
- Ear infections
- Certain drugs such as aspirin
- Injuries in the head and neck
- Ear diseases such as Otosclerosis and Meniere’s Disease which respectively affect the middle part and inner part of the ear
- High blood pressure and diabetes
Tinnitus becomes worse with :
- Drinking alcoholic and caffeinated beverages
Some people may find tinnitus unbearable. This could induce a lot of stress. Tinnitus is more noticeable in quiet surroundings, especially at night when one is trying to sleep. Listening to music or other relaxing sounds will help to become distracted from the noises in one’s head.